Green Bay Packers Fanzone

Monday, March 13, 2006

Rodgers ‘excited’ to work with McCarthy

While Favre’s decision will have a huge impact on Rodgers’ life, Rodgers will be happy either way.
If Favre retires, Rodgers is the Packers’ likely starting quarterback. That, he said, would be “great.”
If Favre returns, Rodgers’ learning process will continue for at least one more year under “one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time,” he said.
“I worry about the things that I can control and everything else will take care of itself. I can’t control what Brett does,” Rodgers said. “I can just be the best player I can be.”
Rodgers is preparing like the job is going to be his. He’ll spend most of the next three months in Green Bay, working with coach Mike McCarthy to learn the offense.
“I’ve got a lot to learn, but I’m excited,” Rodgers said. “I met with Coach McCarthy about two weeks ago and just got a great sense of what he wants to do with the offense.”
Rodgers and McCarthy got to know each other a year ago when McCarthy was the offensive coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers, who were considering taking Rodgers with the No. 1 pick.
The Niners passed on Rodgers to take Utah quarterback Alex Smith, but McCarthy said he couldn’t be more excited about having the chance to coach Rodgers.
“Just the fact that he was considered with the No. 1 pick speaks volumes about him as a prospect,” McCarthy said. “I am very excited that Aaron Rodgers is a Green Bay Packer.”
Rodgers feels much the same way about playing for McCarthy, even if it comes a year later than he initially expected.
“First of all, he was an offensive guy, and second of all, because we really clicked pre-draft when I met with him at the 49ers’ facility. I really thought, coming out of that interview, that we were going to have a good working relationship with me playing for the Niners. It didn’t work out.” Rodgers said.
“A year removed, I think we’re going to have a great relationship, and he’s got a great mind for the offense, some really good ideas with the quarterback position and what he wants to do with that.”
During the offseason, Rodgers went on a cruise with several other players as well as Favre’s mother, Bonita and sister, Brandi. He quickly realized that he wasn’t the only one in the dark about Favre’s future.
“They said, ‘He doesn’t know. We don’t know.’” Rodgers said. “So, I don’t know.”
Rodgers admitted he’s a little surprised that he’s not all consumed by wondering whether Favre will return.
“I think it’s a positive either way,” Rodgers said. “If he comes back, I’ve got another year to learn from him, and to learn this new offense. If he doesn’t, I think I’ll be ready to play.”
Rodgers said he’s doing everything he can during this offseason to make sure he’s ready if Favre retires.
“From about Week 6 on last year, I just made some real big strides, and I plan on picking up where I left off and continuing to improve,” Rodgers said. “I think I’ve got a long way to go, I think my potential is still untapped.
“I’m excited about this offense. I really think, in meeting with Coach McCarthy, that I can be really successful. Any quarterback, like me or Brett, can be successful in this offense.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home